I'm happy to announce that the personal reader project I've been writing for Drupal is now available for download! You can install it on your website, and as a PWA on your phone or tablet. No more third party applications, just pure HTML, css and the power of Drupal. The layout is heavily influenced by the Mastodon project, but needs more tweaks to fix the responsive behavior.
After a couple of weeks of coding and testing, I've tagged a first alpha release of the ActivityPub module for Drupal! It implements the protocol so that you can communicate with other Drupal sites or platforms which support ActivityPub. Remote accounts on for example Mastodon or Pixelfed can follow any user on a Drupal site now and read content, like posts and reply from their platform.
I'm glad to announce that I've been awarded a grant as part of the European Next Generation Internet initiative (NGI) by the Dutch NLnet Foundation to work on my (currently) favorite projects: Indigenous and IndieWeb1. I didn't count on being selected when I submitted my proposal when looking at the other entries, but I guess I made a good case. I'll be spending a lot of time the following months working on them, so you can expect some exciting releases.
Speech to text on Android usually means using the built-in speech recognizer which connects with Google cloud. Offline recognition is possible too, and, let's be honest, support for 120 languages is pretty impressive. However, I'd like to experiment, and also be as consistent as possible when it comes to building and using open source, so I started looking for alternatives.
I'm excited to announce that Indigenous for Desktop has a first release! Like the Android client, this application allows you to interact with the IndieWeb using the Micropub and Microsub specifications. Besides the fun of experimenting with a different framework, there are a couple of other reasons why I felt the need to have a different client.